T Levels are new courses coming to the College in September 2021, which will follow GCSEs and will be equivalent to 3 A Levels. These 2-year courses have been developed in collaboration with employers and businesses so that the content meets the needs of industry and prepares students for work.
1 / 1
The Next Level Qualification
T Levels: what they are?
T Levels will offer students a mixture of classroom learning and ‘on-the-job’ experience during an industry placement of at least 315 hours (approximately 45 days). They will provide the knowledge and experience needed to open the door into skilled employment, further study or a higher apprenticeship.
Students will be able to take a T Level in the following subject areas within the College:
- Digital Support Services: Digital Infrastructure
- Childcare & Education
- Healthcare Science
T Levels - Key Facts
Brand-new, two-year technical courses to follow GCSEs, designed to get students work ready.
2. 80% STUDY / 20% WORK
Spend 80% of time in the classroom, learning the theory and practical skills, the other 20% on an industry placement putting this into action (minimum of 315 hours on placement).
3. DESIGNED BY AND FOR EMPLOYERS
Designed by employers to ensure students are learning the skills industry is looking for.
4. EQUIVALENT TO 3 A LEVELS
Nationally recognised certificate, with the top T Level grade (Distinction*) will be equivalent to 3 A Levels at A*.
5. UCAS POINTS
A T Level attracts UCAS tariff points so students can use the qualification in applying for higher education.
6. GCSE MATHS AND ENGLISH
If not already achieved, then students would need to achieve GCSE or Functional Skills maths and English.
7. WIDE RANGE OF EMPLOYERS
Around 300 employers have been involved in developing T Levels, ranging from small local businesses to large multinationals.
8. WHERE THEY TAKE PLACE
The classroom learning time will take place at a school, college or with a training provider. Depending on the T Level, this is likely to include development of practical skills in specialist facilities. The industry placement will take place directly with an employer.
When they will start?
Our first T Levels will be available to study in September 2021. This means pupils who entered year 10 in September 2019 will be the first to be able to study them.
How T Levels will work with other qualifications
T Levels will become one of the main choices for students after GCSE alongside:
- apprenticeships for students who wish to learn a specific occupation ‘on the job’
- A levels and vocational courses for students who wish to continue academic education
T Levels will be based on the same standards as apprenticeships, designed by employers and approved by the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education (THE INSTITUTE). We expect the total time for a T Level to be around 1,800 hours over the 2 years, including the industry placement. This is a significant increase on most current technical education courses.
This differs from an apprenticeship, which is typically 80% on-the-job and 20% in the classroom and is more suited to those who know what occupation they want to pursue, want to earn a wage and learn at the same time and are ready to enter the workforce at age 16.
Structure of a T Level
T Level courses will include the following compulsory elements:
- a technical qualification, which will include
- core theory, concepts and skills for an industry area
- specialist skills and knowledge for an occupation or career
- an industry placement with an employer
- a minimum standard in maths and English if students have not already achieved them
Every T Level will include an industry placement with an employer focused on developing the practical and technical skills required for the occupation. These will last a minimum of 315 hours (approximately 45 days) but can last longer. Employers can offer industry placements as a block, day release or a mix of these, and can discuss sharing part of the placement with another employer if necessary.
Other useful content
Fees / Finance
Trafford College offers a range of financial support packages that you may be able to access...
Learner services are here to support you throughout your time at College, lending a helping hand...